MG Trophy Championship – Oulton Park

6th September 2017

Race 1

32 cars started race 1 at 12:10 but two separate incidents along Lakeside on the opening lap saw Wray crash heavily into the barrier and marshall post 7 on the outside of the circuit and Picone off after clipping another car on the inside of the circuit and rolling several times. The race was immediately red flagged, both cars seriously damaged. Proceedings were halted and the lunch break was brought forward as both drivers were taken to hospital and repairs to the barrier were made.

In the interval several drivers made repairs that had been the result of taking avoiding action in the earlier incident. Harris made a repair to his rear left hub that had been knocked out of alignment and the DC Motorsport team attended to James Cole’s car replacing the front cross member and resetting the wheel alignment. The Marsh car had considerable damage to the drivers side.

Race 2

With both the Wray car and the Picone car now out and the original 4 others still not race ready for various reasons the grid was now down to 30 cars. The second race started at 17:07 with all races now reduced by 2 minutes. Conditions:- cloudy/dry.

Class A

Burgess was out before completing a lap with a broken drive shaft. Makar was first after lap one with Ross in close contention with Robertson a second adrift and Cole in fourth. Robertson and Ross swapped places on lap 3, Cole moved up to 3rd on his next tour but was back down to 4th a lap later! Ross got passed Robertson at Old Hall on the penultimate lap and despite enormous pressure Makar took the well deserved win, the first 4 class A cars all within a second at the flag!

Class B

With Wray missing Campbell was first at the end of the first tour with Jackson, Cole, Luti, Roberts and Ryan Firth in line astern. Luti was up to 3rd on lap 2 but pulled into the pits a lap later with an odd brake problems that had seen him have a few scary moments. Cole was out a lap later leaving the order Campbell, Jackson, Roberts and Firth. These held to the flag, Butler and Marsh rounding out the top 6.

Class C

Spencer took advantage of his excellent grid position to lead the rest of the class C runners by several places at the end of his first tour. However by lap 4 Turnbull was within sight of Spencer and pushed on to reduce the gap with Croker next up and John Booth in 4th. Cruttenden was out on lap 6 into the barriers which resulted in the race time being reduced by a further 2 minutes. At the finish Spencer took the win with Turnbull less than a second behind and Croker 3rd having smashed the class C lap record on his last lap 0.3 secs adrift. Booth, Ballard and Jones completed the class C finishers.

Fastest laps  Class A was Cole 1:57.637 on lap 6, Class B, Campbell 2:02.504 on lap 8, Class C, Croker 2:05.711 (n/r) on lap 8.

Driver of the Race Graham Ross

Track Days / Test Days /